Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Elzybells: George - In days of old, when Knights were bold.......




Hello everyone!  Hope you had a lovely Easter.  

I made this card for my soon-to-be 5 year old nephew and used one of my favourite sketches for the layout from the Christmas Stampin' All Year Long blog.  This sketch is by Maria Bell and is from way back in October 2009 - see this link for the details and here is a copy of the Sketch.  I'm a huge fan of Maria Bell - she is so incredibly talented and I really love her Sketches. 

 
I have a folder will all my favourite card layouts/sketches which are great for looking through when I'm a bit low on my mojo.

Isn't this Elzybells image just so perfect for boy's cards?  Although my DD said she wants it on her birthday card except that the dragon will HAVE to be pink (of course - what else?!).  The image was coloured with Gamsol and Prismacolor pencils and I lightly chalked around the image with my Kaisercolour chalks.  The sentiment is also from Elzybells and because I bought it unmounted, it meant I could separate (ie: cut) the words so it would fit inside the oval panel (note: I can no longer find it on their website but Elzy has plenty of other birthday sentiments that would work just as well).  I added an 'old gold' brad either side of the sentiment.

I had a go at putting some Tim Holtz 'Antique Linen' Distress Ink around the edges of each panel using my new Ranger Ink Blender tool which the Postie delivered last Thursday.   I am not very confident with distressing and aging cards but I am trying to learn (even if I think my distressed cards look like something from my compost bin!).  I "re-discovered" an unmounted Kaszazz stamp in my stash that puts crackle lines on  your cardstock, so pulled out my Hero Arts Shadow ink and proceeded to splot the crackle lines around the main image panel, the sentiment panel and the designer paper.  

The dry embossing is the Cuttlebug Moroccan screen embossing folder which I lightly sanded before adding the Distress ink around the edges.  Both the image and sentiment panels were popped up on mounts (dimensionals).   The brads underneath the ribbon have been kicking around my craft room for over a year but seemed to be just perfect for the card.

Thanks for stopping by to have a peek at my card!

Jocelyn

Card Recipe:


Stamps:  Elzybells - 'George' 16-031 & Happy Birthday sentiment, Kaszazz - Crackle stamp (comes in a set of 4 unmounted)

Ink:  Memento Tuxedo black, Tim Holtz 'Antique Linen' Distress Ink, Hero Arts 'Soft Sand' Shadow ink

Designer paper:  Fancy Pants - Papa "Courageous"

Accessories:  Gamsol, Prismacolor pencils, paper stumps, Kaisercolour chalks, Cuttlebug, Moroccan Screen embossing folder, 1 and 2mm mounts (dimensionals), Spellbinder Oval Nestabilities, Ranger Ink Blender tool, 10mm - 3/8" wide pale olive grosgrain ribbon, glue dot, 2 small 'old gold' brads, 3 decorator brass round brads - American Traditional Designs CA-0013, Cardstock: pale olive, rust, white, Colormates deep outdoorsy olive (pretty cool name for a cardstock colour eh?!)

2 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

Oh how cool! That embossing folder is PERFECT with the knight and dragon!

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

Love the way you did the edges of the main image panel. They totally match the dp!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...