Thursday, January 17, 2013

Wellington Bear - a Get Well card


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

I made this Get Well card to give to my brother-in-law who has been unwell and thought one of the Docrafts Wellington Bear images would suit him to a T.  I really love this range by Docrafts and I bought quite a little stash to have on hand for those oh-so-hard masculine cards.  I have really been enjoying getting back into paper tole (or decoupage as you call it in the UK) after not having done it for quite a while but was so inspired by my blogging friend Merry's (from MerryMade Cards and Crafts) paper tole cards, that I bought a few diecut sheets last year and fell in love all over again.  You can see my other paper-tole Wellington Bear cards HERE and HERE.  I might add that Merry not only makes cards, but sews and does other craft - I am in awe of her crafting abilities! 

Wellington Bear image by Docrafts - copyright Hallmark
All I had to do was pop the pieces out of the diecut sheet, trim off any daggy edges and put them together with dimensionals.  The sentiment was also from the sheet.  I am sure you could use the card for a number of different occasions such as Father's Day or a birthday just by changing the sentiment and the diecut sheet comes with a range of sentiments which is great and makes it very versatile.  Note that the main image panel corners already had rounded edges but I corner-punched the blue designer paper backing.

The designer papers are from my Wellington Bear 6" x 6" pad.  I corner-punched the sentiment panel too, added some brads and popped the panel up on dimensionals.  All the layers were trimmed using my Perfect Layers Tools.

I found a beige heart button in my stash which seemed to be the perfect-not-over-the-top-for-a-man embellishment to the card.  I tied some string through the button holes then glued the button on with Crafter's Pick Incredibly Tacky glue.  Here is a wee close-up:

Wellington Bear image by Docrafts - copyright Hallmark
Lastly, I tied some Cappuccino twine around the card a couple of times then tied a bow.   The hardest thing about the card was taking a photograph because the multiple layers create big shadows which can look a bit weird and can detract from the picture.  Trying to angle the card in the sun to minimise the shadows usually ends up over-exposing the image and makes the colours look all washed out and no amount of fiddling with my photo editing software seemed to make much improvement.  Finished size is just under 5-1/2" square or if you are metric, 13.8 centimetres/138 millimetres.

Challenges:

I am entering my card in the following challenge -

The Squirrel and the Fox Challenge #35 - Anything Goes.  This is my 2nd card for this challenge as I entered my card from my last blog post in the challenge as well.  You can enter a maximum of 2 times for this challenge.

*******************************

Before I go, I thought I would share a few photos my cat Ruby.  Ruby has an orange mouse shaped tent which came FREE with a pack of IAMS cat pellets that I bought a while ago - and for once, she actually USES it to sleep in.  Of course, the other bedding that I paid MONEY for, she doesn't use.....typical cat!  There was some lovely morning sun shining through the window and she got a bit hot inside the tent, so stretched out on the floor in front of the tent.  Cats sure know how to relax and soak up the warmth, don't they?!  The 2nd photo, Ruby is back in her tent snoozing; I am sure she is dreaming something nice because she looks like she is smiling to me.



Aahhhh - it is so good to be a cat!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  None

Designer paper:  Docrafts Wellington Bear 6" x 6" pad

Ink:  None

Accessories:  Docrafts Wellington Bear diecut sheet, Raw umber brads from stash, The Twinery Cappuccino twine, Heart button by Jesse James 'Dress it up' Country Hearts, button twine, dimensionals, Perfect Layers Tools, cardstock - raw umber, Crafter's Pick Incredibly tacky glue

Punches:  Stampin' Up! corner








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Wellington card. I love to see what you create. Ruby is adorable. She looks so relaxed in the first picture.

Anonymous said...

Perfect Get Well card Jocelyn! Love the button you've added.

Aww, Ruby is a cutie!
xx

Merry said...

So love the top photo of your cat Ruby.....oh so relaxed. She looks very happy. A wonderful card Jocelyn, I really like these Wellington images.Thanks so much for the lovely comments and for the link to my blog. As always I really enjoy visiting your blog and seeing the terrific layouts you do on your cards. :-)

Jackie said...

Beautiful cards while I have been awol, and I love your pussy cat pics :o)
Jackie xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Well done Jobear just adore these pickies card and cat are adorable love and God bless, Shaz in oz.x

Anonymous said...

So sweet and cute, the heart adds the perfect touch!

Jenny said...

What a fabulous card. I love the colour tones you have chosen and that bear is perfect.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...