Thursday, April 18, 2013

Woodware Space Cadet - nephew's 8th birthday card


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

It's been a busy couple of weeks since I last posted as it has been school holidays here where I live in Australia.  Inbetween medical appointments and various outings plus family over from interstate, there hasn't been a lot of crafting going on!  I was going to blog about my card yesterday but with the awful bombings at the Boston Marathon, it just didn't seem appropriate.   I shall never understand what goes on in the mind of someone wanting to plant bombs to injure or kill innocent people - it makes no logical sense.  My heart ♥ goes out to all those affected by this tragedy and I hope that those responsible will be brought to justice very quickly.

The card I am sharing today is for my nephew's 8th birthday - well, technically, he is my GREAT-nephew - but is a year younger than my own daughter!  There is a big generation gap in my husband's extended family and all my nephews and nieces are grown up and many are married with children.   And of course, that makes me a GREAT-Aunt which makes me feel like I am 150 years old - so I just sign my cards "Aunty Jocelyn" which I like a whole lot better!

My (great) nephew loves all things Star Wars which is why I went with the 'Space' theme for my card.   The rocket, stars and sentiment are from one of my favourite stamps sets:  Woodware Space Cadet.  I used this set last year for my nephew's 7th birthday which you can see HERE


The images/sentiment were stamped onto watercolour paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink and coloured with Derwent watercolour pencils and a small round #2 paintbrush.  I added Glossy Accents to the rocket and Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue to the rocket's flame and to the stars.  I lightly chalked around the image with blue chalk.  Here is a close-up - love the shiny effect on the rocket:


I cut the prongs off the 3 glitter star brads and then attached them to the card with Glossy Accents.  I read on the forum at Splitcoaststampers that you can use Glossy Accents for adhering things to your card so I tried it and it works super-well.  My star brads were definitely not going to fall off - yay!  I dislike poking holes into my card to push through the prongs of a brad and find it almost impossible to get several of them to line up perfectly with each other - too much of a fiddle and so frustrating!  I'll be using Glossy Accents from now on!

The middle green panel was embossed using my Big Shot and Crafts Too Stars embossing folder and then I attached some silver/green ric-rac which I found in my stash.  The blue border on this green panel was trimmed to 1/8" using my Perfect Layers Tools. 

I used my Paper Piercer to pierce holes in my blue scalloped circle card base.  Here is a side shot so you can see the layers:


I used one of my Lifestyle Nesting Circle dies to make a white cardstock circle card then attached my finished front panel to it.  You can see my tutorial on how to make a circle card HERE on my blog - just scroll down a little.

And here is pic of the inside.  Very simply done.  The sentiment is by My Memories which I bought from Riot Art and Craft and I used a star punch to punch 3 stars from glitter cardstock in matching colours to the star brads on the card front.



Challenges:

I am entering my card in the following challenges -

My Time to Craft - Challenge #217 'In the Sky' where you can use butterflies, birds, balloons, planes etc. but they must be the main image.

Splitcoaststampers Free for All Friday Challenge F4A163 Glittery Happy Birthday from earlier in April - where you need to make a birthday card with glitter.  I purposely chose this particular designer paper because it has lots of glitter on it but it is hard to see the sparkliness other than in the 2nd photo.  Oh well:  at least you can see where I used glitter glue!   Note there are no time limits for playing Splitcoaststampers challenges. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Hope to see you again soon!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Woodware FRCL097 Space Cadet clear set, sentiment card inside - My Memories #141502 Happy Birthday Script MMSWHB wood mount (Riot Art and Craft)

Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black

Designer Paper:  Birch Haberdashery and Craft (Australian company) SP183 (no name on paper)

Accessories:  Big Shot, Lifestyle Scalloped Circle and Circle Nesting Dies, Crafts Too Stars embossing folder, blue Kaisercolour chalk, dimensionals, silver/green ric-rac, Perfect Layers Tools, Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue, Glossy Accents, Star brads by Making Memories - green from Mini Shimmer Star brads set - red and blue from Stars in Bloom Shimmer set, 140lb watercolour paper, small round #2 paintbrush, Derwent watercolour pencils, paper piercer, cardstock - white, grass green, dark sky blue, green glitter, blue glitter, red glitter

Punches:  Carl CP-1 Star

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous card Im sure your nephew loved it, Mary x

Merry said...

Hi there, sounds like you have been very busy. Great card and wonderful colouring. I bet you still are a 'great' (terrific) aunt. :-)

Jeanette M. said...

Great card!

Jackie said...

What a delightful card, just right for a space loving little boy :o)
Jackie xx

Anonymous said...

A gorgeous and perfect card for a young boy, Jocelyn! The image, papers and colours coordinate perfectly.

I have been so upset by events in the news and, like you, I will never understand how human beings can carry out such dreadful actions.
xx

Anonymous said...

Love the space theme and shape!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...