Thursday, October 31, 2013

Penny Black 3 headed monster Halloween card


Hi blogging friends From Millan.Net

A special welcome to my new Followers!  Thank you for taking an interest in my craft.  If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me an email.  My email address is in the LH sidebar of my blog - just scroll down a little till you see where you can click on a link.

Today I am sharing a Halloween card which I made for my daughter.  The image is a very recent purchase - a Penny Black one of course - which I thought was really cute.  I don't really go for all the super-scary Halloween images and neither does my daughter so I thought this one was perfect for her: 


When I was at my local Art Supply Store, I noticed that they had a small range of Tombow Watercolour pens on sale for $1 each which was a bargain!   I have ALWAYS wanted to try my hand at using Tombow pens but they are really expensive and I couldn't justify buying a pack that in Australia costs $37+ for ten colours and then finding that I don't like them.  It was really just pure luck that the colours that my local store had were all colours that I knew I would use.  And I have to say that I absolutely LOVE them and found them really easy to use and actually alot quicker than using coloured pencils.  I have coloured a couple of images with them and hope to make them into cards as soon as I get a chance.

To be honest, there wasn't really alot to colour on the image as you can see - only the eyes, the shadows on the sheets and the little bits of tail and the ground.  To make the sheets look white against the background, I chalked around the sky with blue chalk which tricks your eye into thinking that the sheets are white when in fact, they are just the same colour as the watercolour paper.  I added some Glossy Accents to the eyes to make them stand out a little more. 

The spider web is a Memory Box die which I trimmed down by about half then popped the diecut spider on the top with a pop-dot and bent the legs down a little to give it some dimension.  I added Glossy Accents to the spider body and legs which makes him look a bit more real.  Personally, the only spiders that I like are dead ones and where I grew up on our farm, we had many, many Huntsman spiders which are massive (*shudder*) - and I mean like 6 inches (or 15cm) across.  I hated them because you would go to bed at night and when you woke up in the morning, you would look up at the ceiling directly above your bed and there would be one there!  Worst thing was that they moved very quickly and could drop suddenly - eek, I am scaring myself so I shall stop talking about them........

The sentiment is by Technique Tuesday and I ran my orange inkpad around the edge.

The designer paper has been in my stash for ages but I am sure you could substitute any of the large variety of Halloween papers that are around.  I ran it through my Big Shot using my Textile embossing folder then lightly sanded it with my sanding tool.  I also sanded the orange and black cardstock although you can't really tell from the photo.

Here is a pic of the inside where you can that I mirrored the card front as far as the layers go:


Again, the spider is a diecut which I covered with Glossy Accents and is popped up which is why there is the shadow of his legs on the photo.  I drew the line with a black pen.  Here is close-up - pretty creepy, huh!?


The sentiment is by Hero Arts from their Happy Halloween clear set.  The pumpkin is a die from a Halloween set by Impression Obsession.  I diecut the pumpkin again with yellow cardstock then popped the eyes, nose and mouth in and added Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue to add some sparkle.

I am entering my card in the following challenges -

Clear it Out Challenge Blog - Halloween and anything orange from your stash - I used the black and orange designer paper which is from 2008!

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes

Happy Halloween to my USA fans and to those of you who celebrate the occasion.  Last year, we had one group of Trick-or-Treaters pay us a visit which was the first time in 10 years after having a little stash of lollies every year just waiting for someone to stop by.  Probably one in 50 houses in our area do some sort of outside decoration but I have noticed that our local supermarket and K-Mart/Target are selling a much greater variety of Halloween stuff than they used to.   

Thanks for stopping by!

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Penny Black 3-headed Monster 2532K wood mount, Sentiment from Technique Tuesday Halloween Seal clear set (card front), Sentiment from Hero Arts clear set Happy Halloween CL353 (card inside)

Ink:  Ranger Jet Black Archival ink, Colorbox Orange pigment

Designer paper:  Making Memories Brocade Orange Spellbound (retired)

Accessories:  Big Shot, Memory Box dies - Scary Spiders #98704 and Creepy Web #98158, Impression Obsession die set DIE114-O (pumpkin), Lifestyle Dies:  Nesting Circles, Nesting Rectangles and Nesting Scallop Rectangles, Cuttlebug Textile embossing folder, Perfect Layers Tools, pop-dots, We R Memory Keepers sanding/distressing tool, Glossy Accents, Tombow pens, Kaisercolour blue chalk, Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue, black pen, 140lb Watercolour paper, paint brush, cardstock - black, orange, yellow

Punches:   EK Success Arrows border

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Not a Halloween fan myself, but I love this fabulous fun card :o)
Jackie xx

debby4000 said...

Love your fabulous, cute Halloween card.
luv
Debby

Merry said...

I agree this is a cute Halloween image....geat colouring in too.

Karen (karey2005) said...

Giggles! I love that image! SO cute! Thank you for joining Clear It Out Challenges! Karen N (DT)

Melissa Bove said...

Adorable card! Inside and out!! Cute image!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa

Michelle said...

I *love* your Halloween card, such a sweet image! I had a few Tombow back in the day - I really liked using them once I got the hang of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...