Tuesday, November 2, 2010

CAS Matchbox Sympathy card using Craft Concepts Budding Vine embossing folder



Hi and welcome to my Blog :-)

Over at Splitcoaststampers, this week's Clean and Simple Challenge CAS91 is 'With Sympathy', so I set to work to make a simple card to have on hand.  This card came together so quickly and easily - I love it when that happens!  

Recently, when I was at my local Riot Art and Craft shop (Aussie store), I found these blank white Matchbox cards (they are A2 size and come in a pack of 8) and thought they looked nice.  Of course, you can make your own.  I couldn't find a tutorial on SCS or by Googling it so perhaps it is called something else in the USA (?).  Anyway, I think by the extra photo of the opened card, you could see how to make your own plus I added some directions/measurements below.  Note that this card already came with the scalloped edge on the LH flap.

I embossed the RH flap of the card with my gorgeous Craft Concepts Budding Vine embossing folder (LOVE this folder!) and the LH flap was embossed with one of the narrow folders from the Cuttlebug 'With Love' set.

The ribbon actually ties around the card, and you slip it off to open the card.  I diecut the tag using one of the tags from the Spellbinder Ribbon Tags Trio, then threaded the ribbon thru and tied it at the back of the card.  I made a bow with my Bow Easy and glued this to the ribbon but made sure I didn't touch the cardstock in the process otherwise the ribbon/sentiment wouldn't slip off the card - the bow is meant to look like it is around the daisy stems.

I punched two tiny hearts using my EK Success Arrows border punch (the leftover punchies when you use the punch look like tiny hearts) and glued them to each side of the sentiment.  Lastly, I added some fine white glitter to these hearts plus the centres of the daisy flowers on the LH panel.  This is a really white glitter - it doesn't have the blue/pinky tones that some white glitters have - and I prefer my really white one for Sympathy cards to give an understated look.

Here is a photo of what the card looks like when you slide the ribbon off:



The inside of the card simply says "With Sympathy".

And here is a close-up of the sentiment panel so you can see the tiny white-glittered hearts:


For your info if you were going to make your own Matchbox card from scratch:  

* the LH flap is 1-1/2" wide
* the RH flap (which tucks under the LH flap a little) is 4-1/4" wide
* the card bottom (base) is 5-1/2" wide
* the height of the card is 4-1/4"

Take a sheet of cardstock 11-1/4" long (x 4-1/4" wide), and use your Imperial Scor Pal/Scoring Board to score lines at 1-1/2" (which will be the LH flap) and 7" (which will be the RH flap).  

Don't forget that if you are going to use a border punch on the LH flap, you would need to add extra width to that flap so that once you have punched your border, the RH flap would still tuck under the LH flap, otherwise it will be too narrow and won't tuck in.

The good thing about this style of card is that you can turn it around and have the small flap at the RHS instead, or vertically so that the small flap is at the top, or the other way up so that the small flap is at the bottom.  Very versatile and something a bit different to the norm - and easy.

If you need any clarification of the measurements etc, please don't hesitate to EMail me - or leave me a comment and I'll edit this post.  My Email address is on the LHS of my Blog - scroll down a little just past the "Hello and welcome to my Blog" and click on the link provided which will open up your EMail program automatically with my address already popped in for you.

Thanks again for stopping by - hope to see you again soon!

ETA:  Thank you to commenter Cook22 who said that this is actually called a Matchbook card rather than a Matchbox card.

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Sentiment from Wendy Irving Expressions J6412.01 clear set

Ink:  Stazon Jet Black

Accessories:  Cuttlebug, Bunch of Daisies embossing folder from 'With Love' Cuttlebug set, Craft Concepts Budding Vine embossing folder, Spellbinder Ribbon Tags Trio, Bow Easy, white organza ribbon 10mm - 3/8" wide, .008 fine white glitter, Designer Dries clear adhesive (for glitter), The Paper Mill White A2 Matchbox cards PMAZMW - Riot Art and Craft

Punches:  EK Success Arrows Border

6 comments:

Robyn said...

Very pretty! I nearly bought some of these cards too yesterday ! (...but I had already spent enough money !!)

Merry said...

This is such a stunning card. Really like the matchbox style.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful card. And thanks for the tips on where to get more folders.

The less stamping on a card, the more likely perfection, so I am about wearing out my Cuttlebug machine these days

Anita said...

Wow, your card is gorgeous. I love the embossing. The little sentiment tag with ribbon is the perfect touch, too. It's a very elegant card. Thanks for the measurements...I'll have to give this a try.

Glynis said...

I love the simple elegance of your card - I will definitely be trying this matchbox card out sometime soon.

Sabrina said...

I was reading your post on the Making Cards thread on SCS and came to check out your varied styles.
I am guessing the reason you couldn't come up with anything googling this is that both here (Europe) and the States, that flat style is matchbook rather than matchbox. From the little books of matches that you get in hotels and so on :D.
It's a lovely sympathy card - I like the idea of using all white.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...