Hi blogging friends
Just for something a little different, I made a quick little birthday card using two Penny Black Stickeroos as I have a ton of birthdays coming up over the next 2 months:
This is also my card for the WordPlay Saturday July Challenge of "Birthday". See THIS link for more details on the challenge.
Before I added the Stickeroos to my card, I lightly chalked the white cardstock with some blue chalk for the sky and a little bit of brown for the ground - not that you can see it all that much in the photo. The sentiment is also by Penny Black from their Tiny Wishes clear set. I punched a heart using a Martha Stewart Looped Hearts edge punch ie: the heart is the leftover punchie from using the punch - then popped it up on dimensionals. I added some Kindyglitz glitter glue to the heart, flowers and bee wings.
The pink cardstock underneath the image was diecut using a Nellie Snellen Doily flower multi-frames die and my Big Shot.
The designer paper has been in my stash for a while and is by Echo Park - Country Drive. I am still on my mission to shop my stash rather than buying papers and really just buying some on the odd occasion when I see them on special. All the cardstock layers were trimmed to an 1/8" border using my Perfect Layers Tools.
Lastly, I tied on some ribbon and attached some pink pearls to the bottom right-hand side. I added some Fray Stop to the cut ends of the ribbon.
I thought about adding some flowers or some other fancy thing but decided to keep it simple so it is pretty flat and I can just pop a thin piece of bubble wrap over the card to protect it and it is still flat enough to not cost more to post. Plus I always struggle with adding lots of embellishments to my cards for some reason (?). I love what other cardmakers do with adding flowers, flourishes, fancy corners, diecuts, bits and bobs but they just don't seem to look right most of the time when I do it - just can't seem to get the card to look "balanced" and it looks too busy.
I think you could use this card for not only a birthday but for friendship or just to say "hi".
Before I go, I thought that I would share 10 random things about myself - just for something different to my usual posts:
- My favourite season of the year is winter: all that layering of clothes, wearing a scarf, mittens and long socks - snuggling down in bed with lots of blankets - sitting by the fire on a cold day - bring it on - I LOVE it!
- I am a big fan of the UK show Time Team as I have a keen interest in British archaeology. Although the show has now finished, I sit glued to the TV watching the repeats. I was so sad when Mick Aston passed away a few weeks ago. I also have a passion for Egyptian history and archaeology.
- I was Dux of my Business College when I graduated (blush, blush) but if I had my time over, I would have chosen to do something in the field of archaeology rather than a secretary (or a bookkeeper as I became later on).
- Apart from the UK Time Team, my other favourite TV shows are NCIS, Mythbusters and Call the Midwife - plus I watch AFL football no matter who is playing. I also love to watch older shows like Seinfeld, Frasier, M*A*S*H and Stargate SG-1. Not into all the reality TV Shows - it all just seems like a storm in teacup compared to being a full-time Carer! All the so-called "drama" and couples arguing/fighting and the manufactured suspense I find irritating. I am probably in the minority as the shows seem to rate their socks off!
- In my 20s, I was heavily involved in motorsport and was co-editor of a monthly motorsport magazine. I also had my own racing car and competed in club level motorsport all over the state in which I live.
- I do NOT dance - EVER! Not even at my own wedding.
- My favourite football team in the AFL is the Geelong Cats and my favourite players are Joel Selward and Tom Hawkins
- I am so thankful that my mother taught me how to knit and do embroidery when I was a child and was a great encourager in learning to do other crafts as well. She continues to encourage me with all my crafts and is one of my biggest fans.
- My favourite singers are Josh Groban and Michael Buble.
- I love to grow my own herbs and I make my own salad dressings using them. You only need a few basic ingredients and it takes literally minutes - and tastes delicious. Best thing is that you know what's in it and it really only costs a few pennies to make.
Thanks for stopping by!
Stamps: Sentiment from Penny Black clear set Tiny Wishes
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black
Designer paper: Echo Park Country Drive 12" x 12"
Accessories: Penny Black Stickeroos from 'A Bunch of Love' sheet, pink stitched grosgrain ribbon, Fray Stop, Kaisercraft Hot Pink pearls, Kaisercolour chalks, Kindyglitz Crystalina glitter glue, Nellie Snellen Doily Flower Multiframes dies, Big Shot, dimensionals, Perfect Layers Tools, cardstock - white, rose pink, buttercream
Punches: Martha Stewart Looped Hearts punch