Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Stampin' Up The Open Sea Masculine Birthday Card

 
Hi blogging friends,

I have a confession to make:  I really enjoy making Masculine Cards.  Alot of cardmakers say that is the hardest type of card to make, but due to the amount of men in my family/extended family, I have had to learn how to make them.  When you buy a card for a guy, it is really expensive, yet the cards are often just so simple - and I think that is the key - keeping it simple and not overthinking it or you might feel defeated before you even start.  

Start with a limited colour palette and choose a simple image.  You can even base your card around a sentiment - either stamped or diecut.  14 years ago, I made this card based around the sentiment for a cousin of my mother-in-law who lived in Wales and was turning 90:


I had no clue what this man's hobbies were or if he had any hobbies at all.  I had only met him once briefly when he came to Australia some years before so didn't really know him.  I opted for something simple and he loved the card so much, that he rang up to thank me personally - I mean, ringing from Wales to Australia wouldn't exactly be cheap - so I was especially chuffed.  I still think the card design works well for a masculine card and it is all based around the sentiment -  but the rest of the card elements work in harmony with each other which I think is important.  The only thing I would change now is the font on the sentiment because it is a little dated.

Some more ideas:  add some texture by using an embossing folder - or add some distressing.  Use a basic layout that you can replicate for multiple cards.  If you want to add ribbon, do a simple knot rather than a bow - or add string or twine.  I love to use grosgrain ribbon for it's texture.  If you like the layout, you don't need to reinvent the wheel - just use the same layout and your cards will all look different if you use different colours, stamps, designer papers, embossing folders etc.

I have four masculine birthdays coming up in August and here is one of the cards that I made:


Challenges

This is also my card for the following Challenges:
  • Splitcoaststampers - Free for All Friday F4A857 - What makes you happy?  Mine is spending time in my Craft Room away from the world
  • Tic Tac Toe - Challenge TTTC297 - I chose the line across the bottom: Any Shape Die, Layers, Embossing

I pulled out my all-time favourite masculine stamp set by
Stampin' Up called The Open Sea which was first released in 2011.  It stayed in the catalogue for quite a few years because it was so popular and was eventually retired in 2016.  I would never be able to part with this set as it is just perfect for masculine cards.  You can do so much with the images in this stamp set.  Do a search on Pinterest and there are hundreds and hundreds of cards and you will get lost down a rabbit-hole as I often do on Pinterest............

First of all, I stamped the Ledger (the text image behind the ship) onto Cream Cardstock (from my stash) using Crumb Cake Ink but stamped off twice before stamping so it gave a faint impression.  Next, I stamped the ship using Night of Navy Ink.  The splotchy circles are from another retired set called Gorgeous Grunge which was first released in 2013.  I also stamped them in Crumb Cake Ink but stamped off twice.

I diecut the main image using a My Favorite Things Die-namics Pierced Circle STAX die and my Big Shot, then ink-blended around the edges using Crumb Cake Ink.

I diecut a circle from Crumb Cake Cardstock using a Lifestyle Nesting Circle Die, then ink-blended around the edges with Crumb Cake Ink.  I diecut another circle using a Pierced Circle STAX die from Kaisercraft Ink Cardstock and glued this underneath.

The designer papers are by Kaisercraft - High Tide - which was released in 2016.  You can still buy the 12 x 12 inch High Tide Paper Pads from Kaisercraft but not the smaller pad which is what I used for my card.  Kaisercraft has had some fantastic sea-beach-nautical themed releases over the years.  

The dry embossing was done using Crumb Cake Cardstock and a Kaisercraft Anchors Embossing Folder.  I ink-blended over the embossing using Crumb Cake Ink to make the anchors stand out more and to also tie in with the rest of the card.

The sentiment is from the back of the same Kaisercraft Paper Pad.  I added some Inque Boutique Brads which I thought matched the card really well.  Inque Boutique are no longer in business:  I think they closed around 2010.

The card base is Kaisercraft Ink Cardstock and the next layer up, Crumb Cake Cardstock - again ink blended with the same ink.

Once I had finished my card front, I glued it to a Kaisercraft White Card Base.

So, what do you think?  I was really pleased with how it turned out - and I am working hard on a few more designs using ship or beachy images.  Often, I like to stick to one theme for a few masculine cards until I am tired of it.  

Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Jocelyn


Card Recipe:

Stamps:  Stampin' Up The Open Sea #123032 (retired) + Gorgeous Grunge #130517 (retired)

Ink:  Stampin' Up Night of Navy + Crumb Cake

Designer Paper:  Kaisercraft High Tide 6-1/2" x 6-1/2" Pad (retired)

Accessories:  Inque Boutique Brads (retired), Big Shot, Kaisercraft Anchors Embossing Folder (retired), Ink Blending Tool with Domed Pad, Tombow Mono Multi Glue, Kaisercraft White Card Base, Cardstock - Stampin' Up Crumb Cake + Kaisercraft Ink

Dies:  My Favorite Things Die-namics Pierced Circle STAX (retired), Lifestyle Nesting Circles L-CC-001 (retired)


No comments: