Sunday, July 26, 2026
Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 21st Birthday Card
Hi everyone,
I made a Birthday Card for my great-niece who is turning 21. When I turned 21 (quite some decades ago), things were vastly different. I don't know that it holds the same meaning as back then(?). I remember getting a large cardboard key that my work colleagues signed but I doubt anyone does that these days. I also remember getting cards with keys on them that said I had now become an adult, but I would never put that on a card today because technically (and legally in Australia), you are an adult when you turn 18.
Anyway, I wanted to make a fun, gender-neutral card that completely steered away from all that those old-fashioned traditions, and here is what I made:
Challenges:
This is also my card for the following challenges (click on the underlined link to take you to the challenge):
Crafty Catz - July Challenge #718 - Anything Goes
We Love Stamping - Summertime
Splitcoaststampers - Free for All Friday F4A857 - Me Time - What makes you happy? What makes you want to create? For me, it's spending time in my Craft Room away from the worries of the world and sharing a little piece of my heart in every card. I think about the person I am creating the card for and tailor-make it to suit that person.
I have seen quite a few cards on Pinterest using the Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls range so used those cards as inspiration for my card.
To do the sandy background, I used a piece of American Crafts Kraft Cardstock and stamped it with the dots stamp from the Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls Stamp Set. I used Stampin' Up Delightful Dijon Ink (sadly, retired) and did 2nd and 3rd generation stamping. I ink-blended around the edges using the same ink but also added in some Stampin' Up Crumb Cake Ink to darken up the edges/corners.
The seagulls are from the matching Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls Die Set which has two sizes of seagulls and the two beaks. I diecut the seagulls using Ball & Doggett Knight White Cardstock, then diecut the eyes from a scrap of Black Cardstock. The beaks were diecut from scraps of Pale Orange and a Darker Orange Cardstock - plus a scrap of Yellow Cardstock for the two smaller seagulls. I glued the eyes and beaks on using Art Glitter Glue fitted with a fine nozzle. I glued the seagulls to the card using Tombow Mono Multi Glue.
I added some white highlights on the eyes and beaks using a White Gel Pen which really brought the seagulls to life. Who hasn't had a seagull swoop down to steal your food?! Or in the case of my card, they will be stealing the cake!
I used a Stamping Platform to stamp the sentiments in Versafine Onyx Black Ink so I could restamp several times to make them nice and dark.
I thought it would be fun to add another seagull on the inside of the card:
The sentiment is also from the Inquisitive Seagulls Stamp Set.
I was so pleased with how my card turned out - and I really hope it puts a smile on my great-niece's face.
Finished size is 4-1/2" x 6-1/8" or 114mm x 159mm.
Thanks for visiting my blog today.
Jocelyn
Card Recipe:
Stamps: Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 421701
Ink: Stampin' Up Crumb Cake + Delightful Dijon (retired), Versafine Onyx Black
Designer Paper: None
Accessories: Big Shot, Ink Blending Tools with Domed Pads, Scraps of 2 Shades of Orange + Yellow + Black Cardstock, Ball and Doggett Knight White Cardstock, American Crafts Kraft Cardstock, Kaisercraft White Card Base, Stamping Platform, White Gel Pen, Tombow Mono Multi Glue, Art Glitter Glue,
Dies: Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 421701
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment