Sunday, July 26, 2026
Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 21st Birthday Card
Hi everyone,
I made a Birthday Card for my great-niece who is turning 21. When I turned 21 (quite some decades ago), things were vastly different. I don't know that it holds the same meaning as back then(?). I remember getting a large cardboard key that my work colleagues signed but I doubt anyone does that these days. I also remember getting cards with keys on them that said I had now become an adult, but I would never put that on a card today because technically (and legally in Australia), you are an adult when you turn 18.
Anyway, I wanted to make a fun, gender-neutral card that completely steered away from all that those old-fashioned traditions, and here is what I made:
Challenges:
This is also my card for the following challenges (click on the underlined link to take you to the challenge):
Crafty Catz - July Challenge #718 - Anything Goes
We Love Stamping - Summertime What is more summery than seagulls on the beach!
Splitcoaststampers - Free for All Friday F4A857 - Me Time - What makes you happy? What makes you want to create? For me, it's spending time in my Craft Room away from the worries of the world and sharing a little piece of my heart in every card. I think about the person I am creating the card for and tailor-make it to suit that person.
I have seen quite a few cards on Pinterest using the Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls range so used those cards as inspiration for my card.
To do the sandy background, I used a piece of American Crafts Kraft Cardstock and stamped it with the dots stamp from the Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls Stamp Set. I used Stampin' Up Delightful Dijon Ink (sadly, retired) and did 2nd and 3rd generation stamping. I ink-blended around the edges using the same ink but also added in some Stampin' Up Crumb Cake Ink to darken up the edges/corners.
The seagulls are from the matching Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls Die Set which has two sizes of seagulls and the two beaks. I diecut the seagulls using Ball & Doggett Knight White Cardstock, then diecut the eyes from a scrap of Black Cardstock. The beaks were diecut from scraps of Pale Orange and a Darker Orange Cardstock - plus a scrap of Yellow Cardstock for the two smaller seagulls. I glued the eyes and beaks on using Art Glitter Glue fitted with a fine nozzle. I glued the seagulls to the card using Tombow Mono Multi Glue.
I added some white highlights on the eyes and beaks using a White Gel Pen which really brought the seagulls to life. Who hasn't had a seagull swoop down to steal your food?! Or in the case of my card, they will be stealing the cake!
I used a Stamping Platform to stamp the sentiments in Versafine Onyx Black Ink so I could restamp several times to make them nice and dark.
I thought it would be fun to add another seagull on the inside of the card:
The sentiment is also from the Inquisitive Seagulls Stamp Set.
I was so pleased with how my card turned out - and I really hope it puts a smile on my great-niece's face.
Finished size is 4-1/2" x 6-1/8" or 114mm x 159mm.
Thanks for visiting my blog today.
Jocelyn
Card Recipe:
Stamps: Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 421701
Ink: Stampin' Up Crumb Cake + Delightful Dijon (retired), Versafine Onyx Black
Designer Paper: None
Accessories: Big Shot, Ink Blending Tools with Domed Pads, Scraps of 2 Shades of Orange + Yellow + Black Cardstock, Ball and Doggett Knight White Cardstock, American Crafts Kraft Cardstock, Kaisercraft White Card Base, Stamping Platform, White Gel Pen, Tombow Mono Multi Glue, Art Glitter Glue,
Dies: Waffle Flower Inquisitive Seagulls 421701
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I just love this fun card, brilliant idea, it made me laugh! All those greedy seagulls claiming ownership of the cake! The sandy background looks great too! Thanks for joining in at We Love Stamping.
Chris
x
Great fun card, many thanks for sharing at We Love Stamping challenge.
B x
Oh my gosh.. You made me laugh out loud. So cute. I love your card. So funny and cute. Thanks for sharing over at Crafty Catz
What a great fun card, I agree about the 21 of "olden" days, the key meant so much, didn't it, I still have mine! Anyway, thank you so much for joining us in our challenge at We Love Stamping. Good Luck and I hope you will join us in our next challenge.
Faith A DT
Post a Comment